I just had to paint the outside of two 9 foot diameter SS 317L tubes with
coal tar epoxy. These are part of a power plant sea water cooling system.
We were told to surface prep just as if it were regular carbon steel. That
is, follow the paint manufacturer's SSPC recommendations. By the way, for
a good explanation of the SSPC specifications go to
Thomas Hunt, S.E.
----- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/DFD on 05/10/01 01:33 PM -----
Finley" To: "Seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
net> Subject: Painting Stainless Steel
Are there any special requirements (methods, surface preparation,
etc.) needed for painting 316 stainless steel?
For those who are wondering why I am having to paint stainless steel:
David Finley, P.E.
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org