Painting Stainless Steel

David,

I just had to paint the outside of two 9 foot diameter SS 317L tubes with
coal tar epoxy.  These are part of a power plant sea water cooling system.
We were told to surface prep just as if it were regular carbon steel.  That
is, follow the paint manufacturer's SSPC recommendations.  By the way, for
a good explanation of the SSPC specifications go to
http://www.corrosion.com/prep.html.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

----- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/DFD on 05/10/01 01:33 PM -----

                    "David
                    Finley"              To:     "Seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    <pec@isgroup.        cc:
                    net>                 Subject:     Painting Stainless Steel

                    05/10/01
                    12:08 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    seaint

Are there any special requirements (methods, surface preparation,
materials,
etc.) needed for painting 316 stainless steel?

For those who are wondering why I am having to paint stainless steel:
government involvement

David Finley, P.E.