From: george simmon [mailto:georgesimmon(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 12:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Pre-engineered Bldg Foundation

Hi Everyone!
I read with interest the discussion/advice on
"Pre-engineered Metal Buildings" particulary because I
am designing foundations for such a building.  This
building with a bridge crane produces an outward
thrust of approx. 75 kips.  "Hairpin" is not
recommended to counteract this large outward kick.  I
am told "tie rods" connecting opposite column bases of
the rigid frame would be much preferable.  Now, I have
seen this detail somewhere, including an angle located
just below the column base plate with the anchor bolts
threading thru holes in the angle.  I can't locate
that source now.  I understand "Butler" has a
"Foundation Design and Construction Manual" which
provides some guidance.
Here are my questions:
1.  Has anybody seen this reference?  or, any other
reference which will provide design guidance.
2.  How do you design this angle connection  -  do you
design as a simply supported beam, with concentrated
loads from two AB's and tie-rods acting as supports?
Seems like I will need several tie-rods at each
column.
3.  What kind of pre-tension do I need to specify in
the tie-rods?  Would a 10% pre-tension of the
allowable capacity of the tie rods be adequate?
4.  I assume turn-buckles in the tie-rods would be
used for this purpose.  How do we measure the
pre-tension?
5.  Would you locate the tie rods within the slab or
below the slab?

Thanks for your precious guidance/advice to keep me
out of trouble.