RE: Info Requested: Microstation PowerDraft

Bill,
Most cad developers have adopted a DWG standard. There is an organization
called the OpenDWG Alliance (http://www.opendwg.org/), which you might check
with whose members are companies like. Bentley is one of the founding
members on the Alliance list and I would assume there is compatibility
between Microstation and AutoCad. If you are using another software, you can
check on the Sustaining Members list to see if the software you are using is
listed.
My experience has been that DWG compatibility has been getting very good in
the last few years. The problem is that AutoDesk refuses to release the code
for DWG compatibility and continues to assume it to be their proprietary
platform. They strongly recommend using DXF as a cross-platform format.  To
overcome this, the OpenDWG Alliance has reverse engineered Autocad to learn
what it takes to create DWG compatibility. One of the first and very
successful companies who did this was Numera Software - Visual Cadd. They
sold their original cadd software Generic Cadd to Autodesk some years back.
The software was sold, but the development team remained and created Visual
Cadd which was sold to Corel and later to IMSI (It is still available as an
IMSI product). This was the only product at the time which could claim close
to 100% compatibility. Since this time, most of the newer products have
gained compatibility.

Because of this, I suggest you continue to work in your own format and not
be forced to learn a new software which can be disastrous to your
productivity until you are comfortable with the software. If your background
is Micro Station then, the point is moot.

Hope this helps

Dennis