Re: Info Requested: Microstation PowerDraft

Our office uses MicroStation (why, I couldn't tell you, considering that EVERY
other office we deal with uses AutoCAD, but I digress).  Although it reads and
writes to AutoCAD fairly well, be advised that your drawings will look like
they were done by amateurs after being translated and plotted.  Unless of
course, you want to get into trying map line weights and styles into AutoCAD,
which is a BIG headache.  Not to mention blocks or other 'complex' shapes.
Unless you create a CAD drawing in its native format, you're gonna have to do
some tweaking to get it to look right.  As an aside, I've been trying (with
varying degrees of success) to email plot files to our clients.  Benefits:
Looks exactly like you want it to with no errors due to translation
inconsistencies.  Liability issues - as far as I know, you can't alter a plot
file (or at least without a hacker at your disposal).  Basically, it's an
electronic print.  Drawbacks:  Not being able to give them exactly what they
want.  If your client wants MicroStation CAD files, and you don't want to do
'test runs' to see how they will plot after being translated, I would suggest
farming this out to someone that uses MicroStation, if you are reluctant to buy
even their 'lite' package.  You might save some time and money on the learning
curve and avoid the headaches.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Mark Nowmos (no large primate alter-ego)