RE: Info Requested: Microstation PowerDraft

Thanks first of all for understanding my complaint (I'm expecting to get
some flames now, for DARING to say that "draftsmen" might not be "as good as
engineers"). The fact is that there are some like your man Leo, but way too
few. The further fact is that there was a time when nearly ALL draftsmen
were that way.

What has happened, according to my own theory, is that we went through a
transformation in the 1980s, when the computer aided drafting software and
hardware--which were purchased typically as turnkey systems--were so
expensive in terms of first cost that training people just to use the system
was a premium. Lots and lots of money spent on training people how to be
"human Xerox machines," instead of how to design.

I don't think the craft has ever recovered from that emphasis on using the
tools as opposed to what to do with them.

It would be like, years ago, all the emphasis was on the mechanics of how to
use a T-square, or a straightedge, or selecting lead for your pencil, and
the reality of what you actually used them for was discussed almost as an
afterthought.

Anyway, that being the case, my personal opinion is that I can thus learn
the ins-and-outs of using the tools just as well--in fact, I use them for
design/layout as well as finished drawings--so I prefer to do my drafting
myself.

Architects have always done this. They learned early on that the graphical
representation of what they were doing was an integral part of the doing
itself.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas