ASCE 7-98

In ASCE 7-98, what is the unit of {S sub S} (mapped
maximum considered earthquake spectral response
acceleration? Is it equal to the value from the map
times 32.2 ft per second squared?

In Table 9.4.1.2.4a, I note that, for a given site
class, {F sub a}reduces with {S sub S}. What is the
explanation?

Thanks.

Rajendran