RE: Info Requested: Microstation PowerDraft

Hey, I hadn't thought of this. In fact, I got a copy of SmartSketch LE when
I bought Mathcad 2000 last year sometime.

Just checked, the "LE" version does not read/write DGN format...BUT...

I can upgrade "for a limited time," to the newest FULL version of
SmartSketch (3.0) for about $300, so that's what I'm going to do. This
version does read and write DGN just as you say. I'm thinking--hoping--that
I can edit a full drawing in it, or if not, can at least make up my details,
then send them to the client to incorporate into his drawings.

This seems like a good interim solution, Ed. Thanks.

Oh, and FWIW, I just heard back on the price of PowerDraft. They want $1995
for a single license!

And keep in mind this is about half the price of Microstation itself!

Guess this brings up the same ol' issue again, of why Autodesk, Bentley, and
a few other vendors of engineering software are essentially shutting
themselves out of a volume market made up of all us "little guys" out here.
I don't think they care, obviously, because they can sell multiple licenses
(I think a multi-seat license for the latest full version of Microstation
works out to about $1200-$1500 a seat) to the "big boys" and keep up the
payments on their Mercedes and Jaguars (and "Bentleys" for all I know!) Who
the h*ll needs us small fry?

Sheesh.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company