TRUSS QUESTION

I don't think you can get tube in ASTM A36 steel.

If you use double angles, make sure to stitch them at least at mid-span.
I'd have to go back through my records, but at one time I determined one
stitch plate was required and no more . . . maybe it had to do with the size
and length, don't remember.

You will need a deck under the standing seam roofing, adds at least 3
pounds.  Spacing of the trusses will be predicated on the roof deck's
allowable span.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable excluding a ceiling weight, even if
the plan excludes it; since I'm so conservative, the fictitious ceiling
weighs 10 psf.  My attitude is that the cost of handling, cutting, bolting,
welding and erecting the trusses establishes a baseline cost.  To beef the
trusses up during the design phase adds little.  If I'm mistaken on this
matter, so be it, I'm stuck in my ways!

John P. Riley, PE, SE
Riley Engineering
20 Oakwood Drive, Blue Grass, Iowa 52726
Tel & Fax:  319-381-3949
jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com

> I was asked to design a 110 ft span roof truss. The truss will only carry
> the standing seam roof and some lamps inside. No snow, medium risk seismic
> zone and a 75 mph wind. The supporting columns will be made of concrete.
The