RE: Something That Bugs Me About The AISC Code

I really didn't go far enough to explain the IMMEDIATE reason this has been
plaguing my mind.

The client is a transit system. But they have to pass everything through the
state DOT. The DOT is a weird entity (I don't mean that in a personal way,
but rather collectively, as in "sheesh, what a bureaucratic nightmare!")

I desperately need for this thing to get past the DOT without heavy
revision. I was trying to pick holes in my argument, thinking like a
bureaucrat, as to my procedure.

Actually, I already have the thing (mostly) designed, according to that
which seemeth me good (a little Bible lingo there, for you Rush Limbaugh
fans). But I can just hear them now: "But...but it's not AASHTO!!! And that
AISC whatever-it-is is for BUILDINGS!!!")

But I really can't make this peg fit into that hole.

The DOT is not a "stakeholder" in this thing. They are simply a regulatory
agency; they're not paying for any of the engineering time (and they hate
our client anyway). But by their heel-digging, they can give our client
reason to say "hey, they're saying you've screwed it up; fix it RIGHT or no
soup for you!" (TRANSLATION: We aren't paying you for the additional
hoop-jumping).

Sorry for the stream of consciousness stuff, I'm just feeling negative
tonight.

Regards to all except the guy who told me to stop saying mean things about
AISC (which I WASN'T; I want to use the AISC Code, actually!)

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251