RE: Something That Bugs Me About The AISC Code

Absolutely. But if I'm sitting on the hot-seat before a smart trial lawyer,
just how valuable is that body of history?

As I said in my original post, I have used the Code all along for many
"INFREQUENTLY ENCOUNTERED" design solutions. But LEGALLY where are we when
we do?

The disclaimer put into the Code, no doubt prompted by the same legal
concerns that I have expressed here on my own behalf, essentially tells us
that, even though these Code provisions are based on sound principles, and
even though you and I know whence they come, the fact is that if we use AISC
Code provisions (or any such code provisions in a similar vein) we are
essentially out on a limb, and all on our own.

This is the kind of thing with trial lawyers make (a great deal of) hay.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251