[no subject]

Hello,

I am in the midst of trying to repair a clay tile flat arch floor structure
(circa 1890-1910 A.D.)

Background:

The floor structure is steel beams (12WF) between 4'-0" and 6'-0" o.c. with
a clay tile flat arch(12" x 12" x 12" thick units) between beams.  The arch
is put into compression by steel tie rods drawn between the wide flange
beams.  This "infill" is then topped with a 5" cast cinder concrete deck.

Problem:

Several of the tiles have fallen or are damaged.  The concrete deck is still
intact.

Question:

Has anyone had experience with this?  I need to develop details and a repair
criteria.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW:  There is access to the floor from below.  The client has requested
that the floor area above remain operational during the repair work.

Have a good day,

John

John T. Daley, P.E.
Structural Engineer