IBC 2000, Section 2306.3.1 states that shear capacities in Table 2306.3.1
are to be increased by 40 percent for wind design (similarly for shear walls
in Section 2306.4.1). Table 2306.3.1 states that the tabulated shear values
are "for wind or seismic loading". Don't the tabulated values already
account for an increase in allowable stress as allowed for wind and seismic?
Why are the values used for seismic 40 percent lower than the values used
William C. Sherman, PE
Camp Dresser & McKee, Inc.
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org