Re: Wood diaphragm allowables per IBC

The factor of safety for wind and seismic loading are different.  I believe that
the FS for wind is 2.0 while that for seismic is 2.8.  AF&PA has this same
language in the Wood Frame Construction Manual; however APA doesn't indicate
this in their diaphragm tables.  The tables are set up with the seismic FS
conservatively.

Eric Ober
Cagley and Associates
Rockville, MD