Re:

It's my understanding that the tiles in this type of construction were intended
to be just permanent formwork for the concrete slabs.  I've seen similar
conditions in an old hotel renovated for office space in which the tiles were
broken or badly deteriorated, but the concrete was in satisfactory condition.
If you can justify the slab's capacity for flexural tension as an unreinforced
slab, I wouldn't think it's a problem.  Although, if the reason you were
requested to review this is because someone had a tile fall through their
ceiling, you may have a bigger problem on your hands, if the tie-rods have
loosened over time and caused the tiles to fall.  Of course, if the concrete
slab doesn't check out, then damn, you've got your hands full.  Could you
expand on the situation?  It seemed fairly innocuous at first, but now I'm
curious.

Mark Nowmos