RE: non compact pipe

Section C6 of the 1996 edition of the "Cold-Formed Steel Design Manual", published by the AISI is entitled "Cylindrical Tubular Members."  Luckily, there is no "Q" factor for tubular members in this code!
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 10:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: non compact pipe

AISC, 9th Edition, ASD

For a non compact pipe, 3" dia. , 14 ga, 33ksi

Appendix B5.2.a would have you adjust allowable stress by the Q factor but.... equations for Q are for single angles, stems of tees, with no mention of an applicable Q for pipe.

Am I correct in using B5.2.b equation A-B5-9 for Fa with no Q adjustment.

Am I correct in using F3.2 equation F3-3 for Fb with no Q adjustment.

 Thanks,

Mark