RE: non compact pipe

For a non compact pipe, 3" dia. , 14 ga, 33ksi .
AISC Specification Appendix B5.2.a would have
> you adjust allowable stress by the Q factor but....
equations for Q are for single angles, stems of
> tees, with no mention of an applicable Q for pipe.

AISC has the HSS Specification, which provides Q factors for HSS and steel pipe. For now, it's available in print at http://www.aisc.org. It will soon join the list of free spec downloads once we have the 2000 version back from the typesetter.

Since you mentioned that it is gage material, you may want to consider using the AISI Specification, which covers cold formed steel design. AISI is at http://www.steel.org.

Charlie