FW: Pre-Engineered Metal Building-New Thread

Ron:  This sounds like a very interesting project, and I am sure the report
will be met with much anticipation.

A couple of other roles that I have played wrt PEMB:

a)  Modification to the layout of an existing PEMB, either by cutting off
part of it (had one project where the corner of the building was on another
leased lot that had the lease expire so we lopped it off), or by adding to
it.

b)  Investigation of an existing PEMB for deterioration and or
"unengineered" modifications (e.g. removing those pesky lateral tension
bracing rods when the owner wants a new door) to determine their effect on
the structural performance with retrofitting if necessary.

As a side note, one of the issues on Guam wrt PEMB is the high wind loading
(UBC 155mph).  We have actually had PE's stateside say, in effect, "That's
impossible, wind can't move that quickly".  As much as we would like that to
be true, there are numerous records of typhoon winds on Guam exceeding that
velocity.  So, we are careful to check that an off the shelf design is just
being thrown our way without checking of the code wind loads using a 155mph
wind velocity.

I hope that you will be posting or in some other way letting us get access
to this report?

Regards,

T. Eric Gillham PE