Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 2:11 PM
Subject: RE: non compact pipe

Do you know you are dealing with cold formed sections when:
a. wall thickness is listed as gauge
b. coin lands on heads
c. coin lands on tails

(-:

Sorry. The AISI cold-formed spec deals with gage metal, primarily. There are a lot of similar provisions to those in the AISC Specification, but theirs is tailored to materials that are generally less than 1/8-in. thick. In fact, that's the dividing line I usually use as a rule of thumb. Their local buckling provisions differ from ours in approach and result. Were trying to rationalize them and should find a way to do it so there is not a discontinuity in the future.

Charlie