FRP reinforcement

We (in India) read about FRP reinforcement in conference/seminar
literature but wonder what are the ground realities. Is this really the
way to go simply because of corrosion? Will this, or any other non-ferrous
rebar, be economically viable even over stainless steel in the foreseeable
future? It will be interesting to have subjective opinions from list
members as to its real prospects (in terms of tonnages or percents) over
the next decade or two. This period, I think, fairly reflects the gap
between developed and developing countries for construction technology.
Though there are exceptions e.g. high-yield strength rebars, in the form
of TOR cold-worked bars, were licenced by Tor-Isteg Steel Corporation
(Luxembourg) in India a few years before it replaced square-twisted bars
in U.K.
I would also appreciate being directed to references/websites that give
the state of the art for engineering information about properties and
methods of manufacture. There was a book published in U.K. in the 90's but
this must be a fast developing area.
Thanks in advance.

=====
Prakash C.Chowdhury, B.Sc(Surrey), Ph.D.(N'cle),
Regional Resident Representative, Torsteel Research Foundation in India,H-1A, Hauz Khas,New Delhi - 110 016, INDIA.
E-Mail : pcchowdhury(--nospam--at)yahoo.com