RE: Plywood Roof Diaphragms

Note that the manufacturers of "hurricane ties" (i.e. Simpson) states that
you may NOT use only the ties in lieu of blocking.

> * On a roof with pre-engineered trusses, how is an interior shear wall
> handled?  Can the bottom chord of the truss be used as a drag strut or
> collector if the shear wall is only a fraction of the building width and
> does not extend to the underside of the roof deck?  This would assume that
> the pre-engineered truss(es) above the wall would have to behave
> as a rigid
> element.

Perhaps I misunderstand your question, but if you let the truss manufacturer
know that there will be drag-strut forces in the lower chord of a given
truss, and what magnitude, they can do their design on that basis.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251