From: edjonson
To: seaint
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 10:58 AM
Subject: Steel lintel beam

I have a question about using a wide flanged steel beam for supporting an opening in a masonry wall.  The opening is 50 feet, with 8 feet of masonry wall above.  I'm planning on using a steel beam, designed as simply supported.  I have two questions.
1. What deflection limits should I use for the steel beam?  Also, should the dead load from the roof joists be considered as live load?

2.  If I design the steel beam as simply supported, is there a potential problem with cracking in the masonry wall due to negative bending stresses?
I have a low roof that frames in to the side of the masonry wall at the same level as the steel beam that will lateral support the steel beam.
Thank you for any guidance.
Ed Jonson