From: RShreenan(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:RShreenan(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 5:44 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: plywood shear panels / box nails

Dennis and Chuck,

Thanks for your opinions and response.  I am working on several cases for the
framer's insurance company.  All of the homes have box nails in plywood
diaphragms and shear panels.  The plaintiff's fix is always: "renail with
common nails or replace pywood and renail with common nails".  When the
nailing is already 3" - 4" at boundaries, adding common nails will split many
of the 2x framing members resulting in less lateral strength than the as
built condition.

Regards,
Ray Shreenan