RE: Steel lintel beam

I wouldn't count on any arching action if there are any expansion or control
joints above the lintel or at the ends of the lintel unless they are outside
of the length of abutment necessary to resist the thrust from the arch.
There should be expansion or control joints near the ends of most openings
of any appreciable size unless the opening is actually designed as an arch.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.