Re: Steel lintel beam

Let me throw a tidbit or two in here...

*If* the wall above the steel beam is continuous, w/o openings, why not
consider???

...using it as a simply supported beam with the masonry in compression and
the steel working in bending *and* as tension steel in a "deep" beam.

You can shore the steel beam until the masonry is placed and cured.  You
can fill and reinforce the block cells, etc., and make a composite section.
 Your deflection can be slightly lessened, but this will be somewhat offset
by creep.

Of course, you can accomplish the same thing with a less-vigorously
reinforced masonry wall and a fairly heavily reinforced "bond" beam at the
top for the "top flange" of this monster.

Another possible solution (probably the most practical) would be a "poured"
concrete lintel.  The depth/span ration should be okay.  This sounds like a
parapet wall.  Can you brace down from the top to the roof structure?
Otherwise you're trying to cantilever from a "pinned" connection.

Control joints in the beam span have been mentioned.  I think they are a
bad idea.  A joint at each end will take care of the rotation.  In the rest
of the span, the masonry will be in compression (If you shore during
construction).  And masonry in compression is not given to cracking.

My 2 cents...

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561