RE: TEDDS

I suspect that the CSC people have been busy introducing TEDDS throughout
the United States. I have been in contact with the company and have
discussed the software with them. While David mentioned the TEDDS forums on
both the Software Productivity Library and the Software Users Forum on the
Structuralist.Net, we have nothing to offer as of today. I spoke with Carl
Taylor of CSC Alanta (our TEDDS representative) and invited him to
participate in the Discussion Forums. He thought it was a great idea but was
doing a lot of traveling as CSC is having seminars throughout the US.
For those of you in California, I received notification of their Free
Software Seminar on June 12 in San Diego and on June 13 in Los Angeles. You
can get more information on space availability from CSC by calling
770-541-4690.

For those who painfully discovered, MathCad Professional 2001 has increased
in retail price to over $850.00, although the upgrade is still around
$249.00. I've looked at 2001 and as with most of the past versions, don't
believe that there is sufficient change in the software to justify the
additional upgrade cost. If you plan to publish calculations on the Internet
(or an Intranet) then I suppose 2001 offers significant upgrade. Each
version, I expect to see the features that engineers need - creative sheet
formatting (title blocks that can transfer from page to page for example),
the ability to embed engineering unit directly into a library so that you
need not have it appear on each sheet and much more.

The justification for TEDDS is that it not only provides engineers with an
electronic calculations pad, but it provides a significant library of
templates that are practical (read "code-compliant"). Where there are some
great MathCad contributors such as Thomas P. Magner (Probably the heaviest
contributor of structural engineering templates), the templates tend to be
more academic than practical based. Not so for TEDDS and although I have not
reviewed the software as yet - there is some very interesting information on
their website.

I will be (hopefully soon) reviewing TEDDS as one of the first
Structuralist.Net Software Reviews. Those who remember our reviews in the
SEA Online Journals will appreciate what you learn on the Structuralist.Net.
We put the software through it's paces in practical application - yes,
projects. There is only one way to properly evaluate and report software -
that is to use it. While this has messed up many of my clients schedules
over the years (learning curve) it has introduced me to some excellent new
products.

So if you believe that combining a template library together with a user
friendly Electronic Calculations Pad is worth about half the cost of Mathcad
alone, then your decisions already made. Else wise, I suggest to contact CSC
to find out when they are coming to town and visit their website for more
information.

One final note: When was the last time that MathCad offered a six month
money back satisfaction guarantee? Check out the TEDDS website
http://www.cscworld.com .