Re: Steel lintel beam

It's braced when it has to be to braced.  I'll expand upon the pseudo-Yogi
Berra-ism:  When the joists are installed, you do not have enough load on the
beam to buckle it, considering that the design live load and most of the design
dead load is not even being applied yet.  If the load on the beam isn't enough
to cause lateral buckling, then the lateral braces are not contributing much to
its lateral stability anyway.  A note about not installing any masonry until
the roof joists and deck have been installed would be appropriate.  I've heard
of assuming some frictional resistance between steel and masonry to provide
lateral support, but I'd be a little bit leery of that.  As you've said I would
make a note of it on the drawings if you anticipate having loads applied to any
designed member before it is fully braced that would cause it to be unstable.

Mark Nowmos