RE: TEDDS

Ron,

We are actually a very small firm as well.  I purchased TEDDS when it was a
little cheaper, and have been very satisfied.  I have not used MathCad since
I was in college, so I can not compare the two.  What I like about TEDDS is
that I develop my own equations, or use theirs, and they are stored in
libraries for use time and time again.  It is really an electronic
replacement for the old engineering note pad.  For example, my entire
processes for sizing simple span beams or load bearing CMU walls or voided
grade beams is stored in a library.  When I need to size a CMU wall, I
insert my calculations, tell the program to calculate that section of my
notes, and it runs through prompting me for wall thickness, contributing
joist span, height of bearing, size of rebar, etc.  They have numerous
libraries built in for multi-span beams, timber design, concrete design,
steel design (axial, strong and weak axis bending, tension, beam-columns,
LRFD and ASD, American and Canadian), rolled steel shapes, rebar data, wood
properties (dimensional lumber sizes, glulam sizes, different species,
etc.), footings and retaining walls, the list goes on.  I like it so much
that I rarely write anything down on paper anymore.  I still use my
spreadsheets for things like building tabular data or slender wall analysis;
but Version 5, which I received in the mail via my maintenance agreement,
has a link to Excel, so we will see what the future holds.

By the way, I may be in Decatur within the next couple of weeks, I don't
know my schedule, but it is always nice to put a face to the dialogue.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.
Bossier City, Louisiana