MathCad (was TEDDS)

When I first heard (late 1980's) of MathCad, it was $395; much too much for
my budget.

Then, in the early 1990's, I received a flier in the mail offering MathCad
for $99.00 and I took advantage of that offer.  Then, I got another flier in
the mail, from the same place (MathCad in Buffalo, NY), offering MathCad for
$45.  (One flier came to my office; the other to my home.)

Articles in computer media indicated that these were just two of the prices
that MathCad was being offered at and was part of a study by MathCad to
determine what price the user was willing to pay, i.e., how much can they
charge before people would be reluctant to buy.

Once you get your foot in the door, then money can be made on "upgrades"
which often are only bug fixes and little else.  More money can be made by
labeling one version, "Pro" and another version, "Professional," neither of
which will differ significantly in performance.

I don't think that I ever used MathCad.  I loaded it, but when I discovered
that it couldn't add a column of numbers, I took it off the machine.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona