From: Kipp.A.Martin(--nospam--at)mw.com [mailto:Kipp.A.Martin(--nospam--at)mw.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 9:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Design of Steel Joists

I will admit that it has been 3 or 4 years since I last design a project
that used open web steel joists, but I recently finished a job where they
were used.  I "designed" them as I always had done in the past.

   1.  Using design loads, I determined the loads on the joists and used
the SJI tables to choose a preliminary joist size.
   2.  I put this joist size on the framing plans.
   3.  I added notes to my drawings saying that the joist sizes were for
estimating only and that the joist manufacturer was to design the joist.
   4.  I provided the loads and deflection criteria for the joist design.
   5.  I stated that the joist design calcs must be stamped by a PE
licensed to practice in the state the project was located in.

Now that we are in construction, the joist mfr. is refusing to "design" the
joist  They will only provide calcs that show that the joist size indicated
on the framing plans meets the load capacity stated in the SJI tables.  I
asked a co-worker about this and he stated that he had never been able to
get a joist mfr. to do the design.  Has the standard practice changed that
much in such a short time?  I used steel joist on many projects in the
early and mid 90's and always presented the information described above.  I
never once had a joist mfr. refuse to provide design calcs and to pick the
joist.  What is standard practice now?

--Kipp Martin, S. E.\
  Portland, Oregon
Eae?-+-?m?y?A
-j)ic,?-+-2"aSC|j)pjE-zUhE<??$-(r)c-o?Yx"?c<?
,!Es?*'!o?oO^(r)ps-'e(r)xsH@
H+-(r)?<N<.nC+?*?!?zc?'Jaeir,>z(tm)^jC cU!?Uy
0?aeczU+fu-jX?*V?Y
z2O?zEh?aeczO??aeczU+?|zf?-(c)ozfc-*.?eY?<azX??+)11bqU&j)U?UsE*<zs,?cpSOhoU
?oo^(r)h?2*'1(c)-2e?E<?SE-ce?y>"?ae-?Uiyu0ACsS{h