Re: Salt Lateral Bin Pressures

There's also a document published by CISC in 1980, by Dr. Troitsky: "Design
Guidelines for Rectangular Steel Bins".

Amongst a lot of other useful information it has the following:

Table 2.4 - Design Properties of Materials:

Salt crystals - bulk density (packed) 1300 kg/m³ (81 lb/ft³), aerated
density 1060 kg/m³ (66 lb/ft³), angle of repose 40°

and in Table 2.3 - Effect of angle of repose on flowability:

25 - 30°    Very free flowing granules
30 - 38°    Free flowing granules
38 - 45°    Powdered granules, fair to passable flow

... I think that fine salt would have an angle of repose somewhat lower than
40°.

My other source of useful information is "Pocket Ref" published by Sequoia
Publishing at

http://www.sequoiapublishing.com/

This tells me that coarse salt is 50 lb/ft³, fine salt 75 lb/ft³, angle of
repose 30 - 45° for both materials.

Peter James
Novatech Engineering Consultants Ltd.
http://www.novatech-eng.com