Re: MathCad (was TEDDS)

>Then, in the early 1990's, I received a flier in the mail offering MathCad
>for $99.00 and I took advantage of that offer.  Then, I got another flier in
>the mail, from the same place (MathCad in Buffalo, NY), offering MathCad for
>$45.  (One flier came to my office; the other to my home.)

I had a similar experience with MathCad only in spades. About the same
time they put out a Mac port at about the same friendly price. It was
crap--the second worst program I ever ran. It crashed, the interface was
wobbly, print quality was garbage. The 'upgrade' was worse. When I called
MathSoft a fairly snotty marketing guy told me to get a PC. I provided
some counter-suggestions of my own and swore I'd never use the program
again. I was tempted when MathSoft came up with another Mac port a few
years later, but I got over that. Apparently it was the same POS as the
first MathCad port was and it never went anywhere.

Between Excel, some roll-my-own code and a couple of other programs, I've
been happily doing without MathSoft ever since. Merging Excel results
into Word documents gives me the advantages of typed manual calculations
and plenty of math in Excel. And there are plenty of good math packages
around if Excel can't hack it.