RE: MathCad (was TEDDS)

FWIW, MathCad was originally written for either the Macintosh or Apple. I
remember when it first became available in Windows format MathSoft had
problems converting the menu's and users immediately felt the difference
with working with an Apple product in Windows. This was true for other
products like Adobe PageMaker. The second revision of MathCad was rewritten
to add context sensitive menus that conformed to Windows standards as well
as locating editing, files and format functions as were typical of the
Windows environment.
I remember the $99.00 offer as I was told it was sent to selective engineers
only. However, when I contacted MathSoft in the early 90's to review their
product, they sent me an evaluation copy for review and made the offer of
$99.00 available to engineers who read our SEA Online Journal. For the next
year or so, they maintained the low price - I believe it was less than
$149.00 for most of the time.

The latest version was mentioned in PC Magazine a couple of months or so.
The dramatic increase in price was noted by the reviewer as almost doubling
in price. However, the reviewer indicated the features were worth the
increase. I disagree. I've played with it and don't see any major
advancements in the software that would justify doubling the price - other
than they became aware of TEDDS and feel that they are under pricing their
software (compared to TEDDS and Mathmatica).

Just a few observations.
Dennis