Re: RE: MathCad (was TEDDS)

Mathcad Versions 1 through 3 were DOS products.  I used Mathcad 1 and 3.  The Mac version was a sideline.  There were Unix versions too.  In the early days, it was a great concept, but severely limited by the 640 K memory ceiling and slowness of early PCs.  Mathcad 4 was the first Windows product and was a fair port.  I have a copy at home.  Mathcad 5 was a stupendous advance and was absolutely rock solid running under later versions of Windows 3.1.  Mathcad 6b was the last version worth having, as far as I know.  We tried later versions of 6 (with Visio), but they were unstable.  We skipped 7, but experimented with 8.  A thorough rewrite of the equation editor to make it more like a word processor destroyed its integrity and reliability, and the program was unstable (crashed, locked up), and it destroyed and corrupted files.  Unforgiveable.  We (8 structural engineers) worked with it for about a year and gave up in disgust.  I evaluated Mathcad 2000.  Didn't see any real change.  I'm now evaluating Mathcad 2001 at home (trial copy).  But I have no enthusiasm for it.  I once felt that Mathcad was one of the greatest applications ever written (Versions 5 through 6b), but now have serious doubts.  Our office uses 6b and we do some serious production with it.

Also, you __can__ add a column of numbers.  No sweat for me.  I spent some time learning the thing and its utility is enormous.

Thomas B. Higgins, P.E., S.E.
Structural Engineer

Group Mackenzie
0690 SW Bancroft Street/PO Box 69039
Portland, Oregon  97201-0039
Tel:  503-224-9560
Fax:  503-228-1285
web site:  http://www.groupmackenzie.com/
Internet e-mail disclaimer:

The information in this Internet e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely
 for the addressee.  Access to this Internet email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
 recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
 is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Because e-mail can be altered electronically, the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.

>>> Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com> 05/23 3:55 PM >>>
>FWIW, MathCad was originally written for either the Macintosh or Apple.
I don't think so. My original release notes (for Rev 2.0 which was the
first Mac version) talk about compatibility with MS-DOS machinery.
MathCad Rev 1 and 1.1 for MS-DOS couldn't read Mac files, and the Mac
version couldn't read files for MathCad Rev 1 or 1.1 for DOS . I gather
that the first versions were for MS-DOS and they eventually ported to
Windoze, and I recollect hearing from a client that there were some
problems with the first Windoze version. Excel came out on the Mac first
and so did Word.