RE: Engineer's Lack of Respect

Juan,
Don't feel bad. I went through this with my parents - neither of whom
understood this field or what I really did for a living. My dad died in
February and almost to his final days he would ask me who checked my work.
The turning point occurred only 8 years ago when I broke ground on my own
home - which I designed and built. He was vacationing here at the time from
Chicago and spent every waking hour on the job site while I was in Los
Angeles taking care of clients. My father and I finally came together for
the first time in nearly 44 years. The only real problem I had was a crack
across the driveway where the soil was not compacted after the sprinkler
pipe was put in. My father laid out the sprinklers and I never let him live
it down:>)
On his 80th birthday, I presented him with a plaque - "Dave Wish and Son -
Home Builder". Accompanying this was a photo album of almost every day he
spent on the site and the progress of the home from start to near finish (it
will never be finished). This was his last "fling" and when he died, the
photo album came back to me.
You will always be your parents child - no matter what.
Regards,
Dennis