Re: MathCad (was TEDDS)

A person who did a lot of heavy equations or programming would appreciate the equation editing system of Mathcad 6.  It was harder to learn  -  less "intuitive"  -  but gave the user near-perfect control of the results.  Cut, paste, snip a little here, add a little there, with never a false of unpredictable move or total disappearance of, say, five minutes work.  The old interface was for engineers  -  thorough, logical thinkers with serious work to perform.  The new one is for students, dilettantes, casual users and impatient people picking it up for the first time and unwilling to use the manual.

Thomas B. Higgins, P.E., S.E.
Structural Engineer

Group Mackenzie
0690 SW Bancroft Street/PO Box 69039
Portland, Oregon  97201-0039
Tel:  503-224-9560
Fax:  503-228-1285
web site:  http://www.groupmackenzie.com/
Internet e-mail disclaimer:

The information in this Internet e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely
 for the addressee.  Access to this Internet email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
 recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
 is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Because e-mail can be altered electronically, the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.

>>> Charley Hamilton <chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu> 05/23 4:20 PM >>>
Interesting.  I've only used Mathcad 7 & 8.  I've found no serious problems (at
least no more serious than I've had with e.g. excel) like crashing the OS.
Mathcad 7 had some *serious* issues prior to the
service packs.  However, the SPs fixed *most* (but not all) of the problems.  8
is better than 7 (in some ways) and buggier in others.
I have to find a copy of 6b to see what it was like.  Maybe I should
"downgrade"?  ;-)

Charley

--
Charles Hamilton, EIT                   Graduate Student Researcher
University of California, Irvine        Email: chamilto(--nospam--at)eng.uci.edu