RE: Engineer's Lack of Respect

My Uncle Dan, my mothers brother, hired me when I first came to California.
I was in a transition - between architecture and engineering, in a world
called "business". Now, Uncle Dan's son Ken was a fairly well known
Architect in Los Angeles. After my arrival in L.A. (from Chicago) I lived
with Ken for a few months, sleeping nights on the drafting board in his
living room (engineering by osmosis?).
Unlike Ken, Uncle Dan was the farthest you could get from engineering and
architecture. His office had a series of room dividers made from 1x6 rough
sawn boards nailed at angles to allow light through, but open from room to
room. When we moved the office, Uncle Dan made me removed and save every
nail from the room dividers - he then made me reuse them to assemble the
dividers in the new office - he refused to buy new nails.
When he moved to the desert (he got here before me) he built an office in a
dead space above the kitchen of his condo. Of course this was not meant to
be a usable space, but he made it one and did not worry about incidentals
such as floor loading (the ceiling joists in the kitchen). Fortunately, the
spans of the joists were so small, that the joists worked. The only
complaint was that Uncle Dan wanted the most insulation for the money. So
when my father was visiting from Chicago, Uncle Dan and dad purchased R38
Batt insulation and proceeded to "stuff" it into a 2x4 wall. He installed
gypsum board over the wall, but the panels popped off from the force of the
compressed insulation. He finally got the brilliant idea to screw the
Drywall in place, but never would believe me when I advised him that the key
to insulation is the dead air space - take away the "fluff" and you lose the
insulation.
Many a hot afternoon in the desert was spent in my Uncles "office" giving
him computer lessons. You would think with an Architect for a son and an
Engineer for a nephew, my uncle would have taken some good advice?

Dennis