Architectural Low Rise Projects (Lateral Stability)

Title: Architectural Low Rise Projects (Lateral Stability)

Greetings all.

I've been working on a lot of low rise (less then 4 stories) Steel Frame Architectural projects, many of them, additions to existing low rises. In all cases, the layouts give no consideration for vertical bracing, due to openings and wall alignments from floor to floor.  Usually exterior walls are "Drivit" or E.I.F.S.  Interior walls are drywall and don't line up floor to floor.

Are Moment frames the only answer?  They really drive the Column and beam sizes up. I've used Partially Restrained Connections when I have 3 or more column bays, however on a new project I'm looking at, I have one bay with a 62' span.

Are there any good references for using interior Masonry Stair towers and Elevators towers to brace these buildings?  I know how to design a Masonry Shear wall, I'm more interested on an overall building approach. How would you tie the towers in on each floor and the roof?  Also what are the effects on the towers based on their location in the building plan? Can you Cantilever a floor Diaphragm?

I guess I'm not used to this stuff.  I came from Industrial Projects where Bracing in King, some of these Architects "never" heard of bracing.

Keith Hyndman, P.E.
khyndman(--nospam--at)engineeringsi.com
Engineering Solutions Inc.
436 Creamery Way, Suite 100