Instructions For Copying Long Links and URL Addresses

It has come to my attention many times of the difficulty in accessing links
referenced from posts on this and other lists. If you view this List in
formatted text you should see the entire link highlighted in blue. However,
I have found that messages sent through Listservices are often converted
(generally in digest format) to ASCII text and the link is broken at the end
of the first line. When ever possible I add specific instructions to let you
know you have to copy or build the entire link so that it ends up in the URL
Address window of your browser with NO SPACES, NO LINE FEEDS and I will also
indicate that it should begin with http:// and end with something like
SID=1234. Unless everyone is using the same page formatting (ASCII, HTML,
RTF) or compatible e-mail editors, it is not possible to embed a hyperlink
that can simply be clicked on. In most cases, I receive angry mail that the
digest received daily is so full of strange characters (HTML formatting)
that the reader misses all the information on the forum out of shear
frustration.

One of the problems in web page publication is that the location of the page
or information is actually a file located somewhere along a directory path.
If you pay attention to many of the specific web pages that you end up on,
the actual location becomes a very long Internet address.
If e-mail programs evolved more uniformly, then the problem of transferring
the address to the URL Address line of your browser could be circumvented by
simply embedding the address into a hyperlink you can click. This is,
unfortunately, not the case with Listservices such as this. There is a high
percentage of users who can not interpret HTML or RTF format and there must
contend with long, problematic Internet link addresses.

While I am sorry for this, I am powerless at this time to do anything about
it. If there is any consolation at hand, I am redesigning the Webpages which
reside closer to the root directory. This means that their address is short
and easy to find - something like www.structuralist.net/professional.htm .
What I intend to do is use a vertically expanding menu tree - the kind most
are familiar with in Windows Explorer or other file management software's,
which will allow you quickly locate the forum where information is
announced. It would be impossible to maintain the menu for each new post,
but since the forums don't change all that often, it would be easier to
simply define the folder location where the information is found.

In the mean time, you can work your way through the "tree" by starting at
http://www.structuralist.net. While here, you can click on a link at the
left side of the page - buttons are for web pages, hyperlink (Forums) are to
access the discussion forums (and software tools). Click on the
"Professional Forum" link to immediately jump to the Professional Discussion
Forum. Browse down the page to (in this case) "Software Productivity Tools"
and click on the forum title (a hyperlink). The next page scroll down to
"Spreadsheet...." and within this forum you will find downloads for all
posted spreadsheets.

There are two ways to attach files to a Discussion Forum post. Files are
often accessed by a Hyperlink in the body of the post or listed in the
bottom right corner of the message next to the word "Attachment". Click on
the file name after "Attachment" and the download process will begin. If no
file name is listed and you don't see a blue hyperlink, there still may be a
link embedded in the message. One of the problems with coded message editors
(such as the UltraBoard software used on the Structuralist.Net) is that the
link is not automatically colored and underlined. The writer of the message
must do this manually. However, if you run the mouse cursor over each line
of text, any embedded hyperlinks will appear. Once you find the link, click
on it to launch the action indicated.

I expect to have the new webpages up and running in a couple of weeks. I
have had to recreate every link I have already done on the site -
translating from the three column "Jump Menu" to the Vertical Expanding Tree
menu. I think the change is much more user friendly. Not only is the
document name easier to read, additional information to help the user will
appear in the bottom boarder of the browser that further identifies the
document author, type of document or some other useful feature. Unlike the
Jump menu's, Clicking anywhere on the tree will take you directly to a
location on the internet. In other words, if at the end of the tree you
reach "Simpson Epoxy Adhesives" (to retrieve the information), further back
if you click on Simpson Strong-Tie you will end up on their Home Page.

Finally, the amount of information is growing rapidly and it is my goal to
make sure that you will be able to access every document quickly and as
easily as the technology permits. So please be patient and I promise to
complete the changes as quickly as I can.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

discussion forums at"

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Regi
ster

Please make sure that when you copy this link that you copy the entire link
beginning at http: and ending with Register. There should be no spaces
between any of the letters or characters.

subscription (always free). To subscribe please use the AutoList
subscription feature for the Polhemus.cc Listservices located at: