To: seaint
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 11:21 AM
Subject: "X" Bracing

I have been asked to provide engineering services for the expansion of an older prefab metal building with existing “X” braced tie rods for the lateral load carrying system. Somewhere I remember hearing the this type of lateral resisting system has fallen out of favor, and that tension only “X” bracing may no longer be allowed, although I couldn’t find any such restriction during a quick look in the 1997 UBC. Does anyone have any information on “tension only” “X” bracing in seismic zone 4?

 Thanks in advance,

 Larry Hauer, S.E.