Re: Architectural Low Rise Projects (Lateral Stability)

Keith Fix wrote:

> An option I try to avoid is "knee"-braced frames, which I generally treat as a
> subset of moment frames.
>
> I'd appreciate comments on any of my thoughts.
>

> Keith Fix, PE (CA)
> Little Rock, AR

Keith,
Are you in a non-seismic area (if there are any of those left now)?  If
you have to design for seismic, when you determine your R factor, do you
consider the knee-braced framed to be a moment frame? They seem to
actually be a type of eccentric bracing, but they probably don't meet
the multitude of code requirements for eccentric braced frames.

I used to use knee braces for industrial type buildings, but now I only
use them occasionally for something like a minor platform structure,
mainly because I don't know what they are considered, seismically
speaking.

Rick Burch