RE: MathCad (was TEDDS)

>I don't think this is the case. Rather, the Mac OS and Windows (as well as
>OS/2's Presentation Manager interface for that matter) all derived from the
>same idea: The Xerox PARC project of the late 1960s-early 1970s.
So I hear. But there's a lot more to it, including all the low level
routines like the print manage which you've already alluded to. It's one
of the resons I like the Mac--everything seems to work about the same
way.

That fact that Mac and Windows may have the same parents isn't the issue.
The question was whether the first Mac shipped well before the first
Windoze machine. I don't think there's any question about that. And yes,
there are others--also not relevant, since the question is whether
MicroSoft copied the Mac. I've run some X-Window systems, and there's a
superficial resemblance, but it's pretty obvious that Microsoft never got
it's particular look and feel from X-windows. I think the menu system
design is the giveaway--it's obviously copied after the Mac's menu
system. The menu keys are as alike as Gates dared make them. And the
functional arrangement is the same. Lots of things, like the file
structure and the way identifying resources are used, are vastly
different, but not the appearance.

>In fact, I would point out that "under the hood," Windows
>NT/2000 passed by the Mac OS long ago
I wouldn't dream of stepping into that, other than to say that I can work
with Windows and do pretty much what's needed. I find the Mac generally
takes fewer operations and it seems cleaner and a helluva lot less
cluttered, but that's a personal issue.

But the question was, 'Which came first?' I was running a Mac in 1987, 3
years after the first Mac shipped. When did the first version of Windows
ship? And when did the first decent version of Windows ship (That'd be
Windows 3.1, I think)?. I'd also say that MacWrite predated even the Mac
version of MS Word, so I don't think there's any question about which
system came first. Opinions about which OS is better are pretty much
subjective--no point in beating that to death. They're also beside the
point.