RE: Allowable load for anchor bolts and PCA book.[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org, <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: Allowable load for anchor bolts and PCA book.
- From: Neil Moore <nmoore(--nospam--at)innercite.com>
- Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:21:46 -0700
Get the CD instead of the book. The book has a lot of mistakes (refer to previous posts). The very first item on the PCA's errata sheet that comes with the book has a question mark on it, which means that even the PCA apparently doesn't know what was suppose to be printed. On a previous post, I was informed that these corrections were taken care of on the CD, which I understand you can obtain from ICBO.
Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, california
At 11:02 PM 5/25/2001 -0500, Bill Polhemus wrote:
- -----Original Message-----
From: Structure Department [mailto:struc(--nospam--at)pidec.com] Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 10:46 PM To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org Subject: Allowable load for anchor bolts
A usual trend in design of anchor bolt is to use 0.55*Fy or 0.33Fu as an allowable stress which is equal to 21.6 ksi and 19.14 ksi respectively for A307 material. Also based on spacing of the bolts the failure criteria of the concrete is checked which in some cases reduce these allowable stresses and by increasing the distances this problem could be solved. Based on UBC97 (table 19-D) and IBC2000 (table 1912.2) the allowable loads given for the anchor bolts are much lower than the values specified. For example for 1" anchor bolt base on gross section of the bolt with max. distance between bolts the allowable stress is 4.65 ksi which is less than 0.2*Fy. This condition exist for all other bolts and all the allowable loads with all different distances are in the range of 15% to 0.25% of Fy. Please advise me about these allowable loads and the usual trend in the way that consulting engineer companies design the bolts. Best Regards, Ali Karimzadegan
- Prev by Subject: Allowable load for anchor bolts
- Next by Subject: Allowable Stresses In Wood
- Previous by thread: RE: Allowable load for anchor bolts
- Next by thread: Re: Allowable load for anchor bolts