RE: Vacation - Company Policy

Roger,

Now I do think you "weird" (you know I say this with all the respect in the
world). As a self-employed independent, my fees reflect consideration for
making sure my family is covered by health and life insurance in case of my
death or illness. If my fees are commensurate with my living expenses, then
there is no reason for me to work for myself or for anyone else.

Inflation has reduced our earnings so significantly that the cost of a
family health plan (not an HMO) can quickly approach one weeks income. When
I was a child and my father protected the family through a company plan, the
cost of the plan was insignificant to his  and there was little discussion
that an employer would provide full family coverage. This IS called taking
care of yourself and your family. The difference is that your employer can
buy into a health plan for less than the employee can obtain on his or her
own. Furthermore, company health plans do not require qualification and the
employee can not be denied coverage. The same is not true of plans offered
to the employee outside of the "group" policy.

Healthcare is a significant nut to take out of our income. Why shouldn't the
employer provide an incentive for employees to have coverage that takes
advantage of group pricing. Furthermore, there are few firms that cover the
entire family any longer. Most only provide for the employee and the
employee can add and pay for his family on the policy. This is still
expensive as the company who does not offer an HMO may only compensate the
employee less than $100.00 a month (as my wife found out on her new job).

As for the quality of benefits, most plans have choices. If the management
is covered under a plan, that same plan has to be offered to the employees.
In fact, if the employer uses company funds to finance his health coverage,
he is required to make the same offer to his employees. I have to dig for
the regulation on this, but I'm sure I can find it. In most cases, there is
more than one plan to choose from and from my experience, most of them are
good. If you don't like the plan, you are able to negotiate with your
employer for Per-Diem benefits which reimburses you the company equivalent
to your in-house health care. You pay the rest.

My advice - shop around for the work you like and go for the benefits
because it demonstrates your value as an important member of the firm. If
your employer respects you, he or she will understand that as long as you
are not spending your time worrying about catastrophic ailments, you are
productive and profitable to the firm. Engineers are a commodity in the work
place. You deserve to sell your services for the most attractive package.
Don't let Rogers Advice undersell your self-worth.

Sorry, Roger, this is a subject I am passionate about as most of the GOP
feels there is no healthcare problem in this country. Like you, we can all
afford to take care of ourselves and if we can't too bad!

Regards
Dennis