Re: EOR review of truss calcs

It not a price problem.  It's a page in the TPI standard that puts the completion of the web bracing onto the engineer of record.  Frank Woeste apprears to be discussing how the web bracing is accomplished - by you or the engineer of record - not necessarily the truss company.  If your local building department is not catching this, then they should be informed.  Our local building department is enforcing this requirement and it's been a topic of discussion and chargin for about four or five years now.

Neil Moore,  S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, california

By the way Dennis, my wife and I just ran a big brown bear out of our area.

Structuralist wrote:

 Have you seen the price???? Neil, I remember the thread but only remember the issue of lateral bracing was it relates to shear transfer through interior walls. In fact, I have a paper written by Frank Woeste, Ph.D. of Virginia Tech. It is my understanding that if the truss company does not provide lateral bracing calculations you need to bring it to their attention but it is also my understanding that this is the responsiblity of the truss manufacture to supply.
Wood Truss Permanent Web Bracing Design
by
F. E. Woeste, P. E. C. R. Underwood J. D. Dolan, P. E.

Abstract:
The number of required continuous lateral braces (CLB's) required for stabilizing roof truss webs can be minimized at the truss design stage. Several ideas are presented to minimize the number of webs needed to be braced by CLB's and companion diagonal braces. Options to the CLB web bracing approach are presented. A design procedure for a web braced with one CLB and a diagonal brace at some interval is demonstrated. For the case of one web braced by two CLB's at the 3rd points, the required bracing force to stabilize the web is reported and a design procedure is summarized.

To review the paper, click here.  If you receive this in ASCII text copy the following link in it's entirty:

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action="">

LEAVE NO SPACES OR LINE BRACKS BETWEEN HTTP: AND SID=7925...

Dennis S. Wish, PE