Israeli Wedding Hall Disaster

In a recent CBC News report
(http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/view?/news/2001/05/26/israel_banquet010526
<http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/view?/news/2001/05/26/israel_banquet010526> ) a
reference was made to a 1996 banned " . . . construction method used", being
partially responsible for the collapse.  Can anyone explain what that
construction method was/is?  The "inventor" of that construction method was
apparently one of the eight arrested.  The pictures (no technical
assessments yet) I have seen so far suggest a "thin" slab design (for the
span), only nominal reinforcing, and no drop panels or column beams.  I know
that during the recent building renovation some columns were removed on the
lower floors, but what was the construction method they were referring to,
and which was banned already in 1996?

GEORG A. M. KRALIK, P.Eng.,  M.Eng. -  Structural,  B.A.Sc. - Civil
Senior Design Engineer - Civil/Structural
Ontario Power Generation - Nuclear,  Station Engineering Support Division
      Engineering Mechanics and Codes Department,  Structural Analysis
Section
700 University Avenue - H12 D08,   Toronto,   Ontario,   Canada    M5G 1X6
      Tel.: (416) 592­4341,   FAX: (416) 592­8802,  [ alternate FAX:  (416)
592­5322 ]
e­mail:  georg.kralik(--nospam--at)opg.com <mailto:georg.kralik(--nospam--at)opg.com>