Re: Macintosh S.E. CAD software?

> From: "Bill Polhemus" <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>

> > It's rather nice that AutoCAD never made it in the Mac market because it
> > left it open for some really exquisite Cad products.
>
> The problem with all this as I see it, is that you're having to work around
> the limitations of your platform. IMO, your platform should be selected
> based on your need for a solution, not your solution selected based on your

> I have asked several software vendors if they've looked at Linux. Their
> response is uniformly "NO!" because Windows 2000 has become THE viable
> platform of choice for engineering workstations. It would make no sense for

I agree. If I was just entering the market today, I would buy a Wintel
box for engineering analysis. It's a matter of chicken and egg. Some
leading edge engineering software was available when I started using the
Mac and the Mac is useful in other ways as well. Now, there are precious
few production engineering software packages being developed as a result
of Windows domination in a market that had previously included the
Apple-II on engineering desktops. So, as I mentioned, I may have to
begin a slow switch - plotter, printers, scanner, eng'g software,
billing software, accounting software, etc. - big expense in one shot.

> Anyway, I love using a Mac, but I wouldn't even THINK of scrambling around
> finding structural engineering software solutions for it. It just makes too

On the other hand, word of mouth is a useful way to find a tool or
support a developer if you are already involved with a platform and want
to squeeze a few more drops out of a B&W G3 let alone an aging LCIII
with an 8 1/2 x 11, vertical orientation, paper white monitor. And as
Christopher Wright so elegantly puts it ...

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International