Re: Structural failure? ;-) Na

Engineering is not a fight against nature but an effort to provide
adequate protection to mankind against the vigours of nature, to extent
possible. This 'extent possible' is based on collected data of nature's
fury. This data collection (and updation) is a continuous process and we
upgrade our specifications accordingly.

To err is human. This err is referenced to the man's possible combactive
capabilities. Such errors should be unpardonable. However, if failure
occurs due to insufficiency of data collected, this is a mishap and nor
an error.

In the recent past (5 years) India has experienced a cyclone (wind speed
>65m/s) and an earthquake of higher magnitude than expected. Failure of
structures due to this was surely not structural error!

Regards

RP Mehrotra
Manager (Engg-Strl)
Engineers India Limited