RE: Vacation - Company Policy

I do agree that the "younger generation" seems to love to play. That is the
reason they want the time off.

Now, can I really blame them in all honesty, since one of the primary
reasons I went to work for myself was so that I could order my own time? No,
I can't.

Times change, and so do the imperatives of the workforce.

People don't get married much anymore, for example. What do they care about
your splendiferous "family-oriented" benefits like comprehensive health-care
coverage and family sick leave? No, they want to know if they will have
sufficient down-time available to them during the year to go climb Mt.
McKinley with a bunch of their college buddies (that was one of the
situations I had with a new hire a couple of years ago).

Anyway, you gotta go with the flow, if you want to get people to work for
you.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas