RE: Vacation - Company Policy

>In short, the standard for Europe is a failure,
I can't let this go. Europe is by no means an economic failure. And the
gap between haves and have nots is nothing like ours. Their rail systems
make our particular shambles look pathetic. That includes the Brits who
didn't have to rebuild everything 50 years ago. The French nuclear power
industry (government monopoly) provides most of their electric power
needs and they've put together an excellent spent fuel reprocessing and
disposal system. Rolls Royce and Mercedes are still standards of
excellence, and the European aircraft industry is giving us a good hard
run for our money. Much of our stanless steel is manufactured in Europe
or Japan. And their cities are safe.

This isn't a knock on the US, just a reminder that we Americans have long
labored under the delusion that everyone really wants to be like us
because we're indisputably the best in everything. Rome labored under
this same delusion. So did imperial China. In fact we're pretty good at
some things, but attention to basic human needs (beyond patronizing other
nations with gratuitous advice) isn't one of them.