AITC vs. NDS

I have always wondered this, but now I have a "need to know," so I'll
finally get around to asking:

What is the line of demarcation between the scopes of the American Institute
for Timber Construction (AITC) Specification for Timber Design, and the
American Wood Council (AWC) National Design Standard (NDS)?

I recall having seen the AITC manual, though I never used or even perused
it, because it physically resembled the AISC Manual of Steel Construction.
However, when I look on the AITC website (at https://www.aitc-glulam.org),
it LOOKS as though they have "converted" into a trade group that is involved
ONLY with the design and manufacturing of Glulam products.

Is this true? Did they "cede" the jurisdiction for wood design in general to
AWC? I would appreciate a brief history of this so I might understand.

Thanks in advance.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas